This site serves as a blog for my pastoral ministry which includes commentary on culture, random topics related to Biblical studies, pastoral ministry, and Christianity in general. The site also serves as an unofficial virtual office for my seminary students and other friends. The goal is to provide encouragement to saints and direction to sinners and seekers.





Tuesday, March 13, 2012

part 3, Notes from the book Point Man: How a Man Can Lead His Family, by Steve Farrar



According to Farrar, another one of Satan’s strategies on his war on the family is to effectively sever and alienate a man from the spiritual disciplines that will keep him fit and effective for spiritual battle. (111). Perhaps my favorite line from Point Man is this: “spiritual activity does not equal spiritual effectiveness.” Oh, how I need to remember this! Too many of us and too many times we go through the motions or try to “serve” Christ’s church when we are so spiritually dry on the inside. Don’t think our family and children don’t know who we really are!
Farrar goes on the mention what he calls “spiritual anorexia” (113). This is simply not reading Scripture and spending some time each time meditating on its truths. Matthew 4:4 and Deut. 32:46-47: Moses was told the God’s Word was his LIFE, and if Jesus needed God’s Word (Matt. 4), then I certainly need it. Three things Scripture reading each day does for me:
1 – it reminds me there is a God who is ruling the affairs of my life.
2 – I need to be reminded of what’s true.
3 – the morning briefing reinforces my convictions.
Next, Farrar mentions “spiritual bulimia” (119). This condition is an aversion to applying the Scripture to my life (James 1:22; Ezra 7:10; Psalm 1). This psalm says that the “blessed man” meditates on God’s Word regularly. I want to be blessed by God. What about you?
The next spiritual discipline that should not be overlooked is prayer (137). “Prayer is the exercise of the man who is a spiritual self-starter.” (137). Farrar calls prayer “aerobic kneeling.” It’s great exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment